Dance News Christchurch
Last Update: 19 Sept 2021
☆ Next New Courses with Free Class
Free 1st Class on these new SBK Courses
☆ Level-2 & Mask Update
Dance classes have already started since the 8th of September.
In a nutshell - All dancing including, 'Partner Dancing' is considered exercise and even wrestling & Rugby is still allowed in Level-2 & masks are not mandated for contact sport & exercising. Masks need to be worn only around the venue, entering at exiting etc, but when exercising including partner dancing you may remove your mask, in fact mask are not recommended when sweating. Limits of 50 persons will apply to Studio#1 & 15 for Studio#2 "first in first serve basis". We are also balancing the fact that there are no recorded cases in the South Island & that our dance classes are well tracked with allocated groups of the same people every week.
• Full Mask informations - see leve-2 info below
• Your responibities - see leve-2 info below
- Health Rules - See below
• Documentation with links to NZ Sport - see leve-2 info below
☆ New Salsa Performance Team Starts 28 October
- Start Date: 28th October 2021 - Thursdays 6:15pm (1hr)
- Performance Only Focus Choreography Team
- Level: Improvers / Intermediate & Above
- Teachers: Milena & Reuben
This Performance Salsa teams will be more focused on team performances in parties, films & Congresses & Festivals & will tend to focus on revamped routines from our past and routines that are geared for shows, these are a great way to get started into the performance world without the pressure of competitions..... read more >
☆ FREE 3 Beginners Basics Video
We have just released x3 SLTV Salsa, Bachata & Kizomba Beginners basics classes for Free as a taster, but its something that you can practice your basics too. Theres Salsa, Kizomba & Bachata Beginner & Intermediate online courses are all available now. There is a total of 54 Videoes with over 140 Shines to learn over 4 styles including Cha Cha On2. See all video snapshots, free videos, purchase info & free videos on the Online classes page ...details here >
Covid Updates & Info
Christchurch is now in Level-2
Last Update: 15 Sept 2021
☆ Dancing in Level-1 (OPEN)- Normal Operation & Masks Not Required
☆ Dancing in Level-2 (OPEN) - Masks Not Required for Dancing
☆ Dancing in Level-3 (CLOSED) - Live Online Classes May be Available
☆ Dancing in Level 4 (CLOSED) - Live Online Classes May be Available
☆ Dancing in Level-1(OPEN)
Salsa Latina classes & events are running completely as normal in Level-1 with Partner Dancing Pre-Covid.
As per the MOH guidelines and guidelines for Contact sport at Level-1 'Sport NZ' ...See more info here >
Sport, active recreation & Contact Sports Alert Level 1 looks like much like it did pre-COVID-19, with border restrictions. There are no restrictions on businesses and services (including hospitality), no restrictions on gathering, no requirements for physical distancing, and no requirements to keep records to enable contact tracing. While none of the public health requirements are mandatory.
QR code tracing poster in the entrance downstairs for your own records.
☆ Dancing in Level-2 (OPEN)
Information Update on the 10th September 2021
"Sports New Zealand" see the PDF document here >
All dancing including, 'Partner Dancing' is considered exercise and even wrestling & Rugby is still allowed in Level-2 & masks are not mandated for contact sport & exercising. Masks need to be worn only around the venue, entering at exiting etc, but when exercising including partner dancing you may remove your mask, in fact mask are not recommended when sweating. We are also balancing the fact that our dance classes are well tracked with allocated groups of the same people every week.
• We are Open with all forms of dance & exercise in Level-2 which are allowed
• Partner dancing will be allowed in classes under the definition under "Contact Sport" which is the best fit for this type of sport / exercise / activity & no mask is required. Because of the nature of this type of activity, distancing isn't possible, but is allowed.
• Dance Teams will be allowed to dance with No Masks with their partner or solo dancing as this is defined as "Team Sport"
• Solo dancing & exercising with no contact falls under "Active Recreation" 2 metre distancing for this type of class.
• Limits of people in our venue are in place based on the space available: x50 people for studio#1, x15 people in studio#2 & x3 people in studio#3
• When arriving at Salsa Latina, it's first in first serve. Please leave the venue promptly after your class or session has finished.
• Check-in with QR Code and/or written log as you enter downstairs is required.
• All Social dance nights are canceled in Level-2
• Normal Salsa, Bachata & Kizomba Syllabus Classes have resumed
• Masks are required when entering, exiting and moving around our venue unless you have an exemption
• Masks can be removed to eating, drinking & communicating to those with hearing difficulties
• Masks can be removed for exercise/dance when participating in sports, exercise & dancing. Recommended to be removed when sweating.
See 'Contact Sports' info on masks here "Face coverings do not need to be worn when playing sport "includes partner dancing" but are encouraged before and after at indoor facilities." & .. see part D on this document for this in sports & removing for exercise.
• Instructors can remove masks for exercise, teaching & communication to the class
- Make sure you wash hands and use hand sanitiser when you can & please so stay home if you are sick.
- People at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, for example those with underlying medical conditions and those considered to be at risk eg. older people, are encouraged to take additional precautions such as below.
- You are also welcome to dance with one partner if you choose not to be part of the partner rotation/swapping in classes, it might pay to organise this prior to class with someone.
Previous Level 2 information Pre Aug 2021
Salsa Latina classes & events are allowed to be running as normal in Level-2 with Partner Dancing
As per the MOH guidelines and guidelines for Contact sport at Level-2 'Sport NZ'
Alert Level 2 references from this post here, which includes a link to the offical website & is still valid as of Aug 2021
Covid 19 Alert level 2
Sport NZ – play, active recreation and sport at level 2.
Specific enquiry with MOH confirming partner dancing is allowed at Level-2
Pre Delta, there are also a number of dance schools and other dance events still running as normal with partner dancing and swapping partners but with 100 limits in venue spaces or 100 person limits in specific areas. We have shared and posted on our facebook page 19th August 2020 detailing how partner dancing can happen in level-2 from Masha 'Dance Hub' who has had also direct contact from MOH. If you have concerns and wish to read and understand this please see the link off this facebook post here >
☆ Dancing in Level 3 & 4 (CLOSED)
Under Level-3 or Level 4 Classes & Events will not be run in the studio, when Level 2 starts back we start the day that we are in level-2 see above. However we start LIVE Facebook classes in lockdowns so you can continue to dance at home, we also have series of Online Video courses you can choose to do as well.
☆ Health Rules
If you’re sick, stay home.
Wash your hands.
Sneeze or cough into your elbow and regularly clean shared surfaces.
You must self-isolate if you’re told by officials to do so.
Stay healthy, work with your GP if you have underlying health issues.
Keep track of where you’ve been.
Keep fit & healthy with exercise & dance
Frequently Asked Questions about Dance Classes for Salsa, Bachata & Kizomba, Cha Cha & Merengue
Salsa Latina Facebook Page:
Find out what's on, what's hot, dance information. Latin Dance classes & Events in Christchurch listed on our facebook page. Join now or take a scroll here to see what's happening at Salsa Latina Dance Centre & our Studios in Christchurch New Zealand.