Kizomba Dance Classes Christchurch
Learn to Dance Kizomba in Christchurch City from New Zealand Champions
Kizomba the dancing style is also known to be very sensual and flows with a music of a romantic flow. Kizomba is a beautiful, sensual partner dance that is a fusion of European, African and Caribbean styles. Kizomba to the newbie looks a little like Tango, there are even fusions of Tango in some styles of Kizomba and there are more similarities because even Tango has roots in African dance "see history for more info". Kizomba was popularised in Portugal from Passada, more about the History below. It's popularity is growing extremely rapidly, if not the fastest partner dance style gaining popularity around the world at the moment, particularly Europe.
Update: Kizomba Classes Return to Normal
UPDATE: from 7th June at Salsa Latina Kizomba Partner Dance Classes will return to Normal with Partner swapping will be allowed. It may take some time to reinstate many of the classes, so keep updated by checking our information regularly. .. read full info on the changes here >
Kizomba Beginners 101 Courses
Beginner Course Start Dates:
★ Mondays 6:15pm ............. 1st June (101 Course)
★ Mondays 7:30pm ............. Coming soon
- Partner-work & Footwork / Shines
- No Partner required (partner rotation)
When to Join?
It's best to join when the course starts (week#1) but can join any time up to week#2 at the latest. Even if you have done Kizomba somewhere else you will need to do our Kizomba syllabus to progress to the next level.
tip: Check the timetable for week numbers.
• Level: Beginners 101 = Courses are 8 Weeks, which includes 4 weeks of 101 & 4 weeks of 201 levels
• Duration: 1 hour, once a week every week for 8 weeks
• Free 1st Class: Only on Week#1 of the course is Free.
• No Partner Required & Everyone welcome
Kizomba Beginner Beginner 101 courses are ideal for absolute beginners & anyone who has had some partner dancing experience or if you have done Kizomba before, this is a chance to recap and learn more. Learn all the basics of most of the styles of Kizomba traditional style. Once you have completed the beginners 101 you can progress to the New Intermediate level.
Regardless of your dance level in other styles its always best to start at the beginning, we've redesigned this course for the absolute beginner in mind. Latin dancing is a great way to Have Fun, keep fit and meet lots of new people! If you have done some Kizomba before, we highly recommend you do this level regardless, teaching styles & information vary between dance schools. This is the most important of all the levels to master, worth repeating
Progress to the Next Level
After completion of beginners Kizomba you will then progress to the Kizomba Intermediate, no need to enrol for Intermediate.
Kizomba Intermediate 301-304 Courses
Intermediate Course Start Dates:
★ Mondays 8:30pm ............ Join in Now
- Partner-work & Footwork / Shines
- No Partner required (partner rotation)
When to Join?
Join this level 'only' when you have completed the Salsa Latina Beginners Kizomba 101 course ...or had private lessons! Remember you can always repeat beginners & improver sections as well as this class to improve your base level.
Enrolment is not required for this level.
• Courses are 8 Weeks, which includes 4 weeks of each section
• Duration: 1 hour, once a week for 8 weeks
• Courses 301-308, join any course after beginners
• No Repeated courses, So you can continually learn once at this level.
This Intermediate Kizomba dance level we place more emphasis on timing, leading skills, connection, styling, variations of the fundamentals, positioning, body isolation with complex moves & combinations. This is where you get to learn how to play with the structure & fundamentals taught in beginners. For the more Advanced levels, tips will be given to take it to a higher level i.e. Advanced levels. More about the syllabus below...
Kizomba Footwork 301-304
The Kizomba footwork syllabus has over 16 styles to learn over 16 weeks, a new footwork every week. each section is a 4 week block. note partner-work is different every week, no repeats.
Kizomba Shines/Footwork Classes
★ Mondays 7:30pm-Ladies Kizomba Shines
These classes are essential solo dancing, with no partner. Learn body movement, style, flavour, dance technique and essential syllabus shines. They will have no physical contact with others and aimed at footwork 'aka shines'. It's a great way to learn to dance without a partner, mastering solo dancing is a main key for learning to dance better. If you can't dance without a partner you can't dance with one.
..What are shines? > read more about benefits & importance of shines here>
FREE Kizomba Practice Times
This is a chance to practice all those moves you've been learning in class. You can turn up to either of the practice times, and its FREE for current Salsa Latina Kizomba students.
★ Mondays 7:15pm (15mins)
★ Mondays 8:30pm (40mins)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I bring a friend?
- Do I need to bring a partner?
- If I'm bringing a partner do I have to swap?
- I have done some classes, do I still join beginners?
- What Level am I? ..where should I start?
- Classes to Easy or to Hard?
- What should I wear?
- Do I need special footwear?.
- Do I need to bring anything?
- How long will it take me to learn to dance well?
- Do I need to Practice?
- Should I use Youtube to help learning?
- Do I need private lessons?
- Latin Dancing & International Latin, what's the difference?.
- Should I Learn Salsa first?
- Am I too young, old, small or big?
- What are the Benefits of Salsa & Latin Dancing?
The Kizomba dance is a couple dance from which many styles such as, Tarraxinha and Urban Kiz derived from. Before the word Kizomba was adopted most PALOPS used to refer to it as “Passada”. Passada uses the universal basics of partner dances. Side to side, Travelling & 360 degree rotation. These are basics came from the European dance called the Waltz which is dating back to the 16th century. Almost all partner dances have universal basics; from Bolero, to Son, to Bachata, to Semba, to Forro, to Tango etc… Each of these dances are how each culture perceived and mutated those basics into something that reflects their identity.....also see the video & Article about the Waltz here
Kizomba is characterised by a slower, romantic, more sensuous rhythm than Semba dance. Kizomba music emerged as a more modern music genre with a sensual touch mixed with African rhythm and Haitian Kompa & French Zouk .... read more >
Kizomba Dance Teachers
Find out more about our teachers, see their profiles
Kizomba Dance Class Syllabus & Style:
Salsa Latina has been pioneers in bringing many dance styles to Christchurch and had its first Kizomba Classes in 2009 with Nikal (USA), it's quite possibly the first class in NZ of this style. Our System is based on Kizomba Fundamentals, known as the 'Salsa Latina Foundation System', which is unique in New Zealand. It's based on and very carefully constructed & refined from some of the best Kizomba dancers in the world & constantly updating. We specialise in Modern Improvised Freestyle Street Styled Kizomba with a good mix in all traditional & Urban flavours. good leading & following is the key. Many Latin dance schools do not know the difference on what is leadable & what isn't, if it can't be lead or followed, we don't teach it.
The 'Salsa Latina' Kizomba Foundation
At the start of our Kizomba classes we start with a Kizomba Footwork which also acts as a warmup to learn the essentials in mastering the feet, then we partner ladies & guys up aka 'Partnerwork'.
New Updated system added in Jan 2020
#1 Kizomba Partnerwork:
Learn from the ground up, a foundation that will build on itself, Think of it like a House foundation. Master these core moves known as Fundamentals and you will progress very quickly. You'll discover that all Kizomba dance 'combinations & patterns' are simply 'variations' of 'fundamentals'. We don't teach a random move of the week, rather it is taught to you in a way that is specifically designed to be progressive which build on previously taught elements giving the best results.
#2 Kizomba Footwork
You will also Learn Kizomba Footwork, even through Kizomba isn't traditionally a solo dance, learning about footwork is essential for any balanced Kizomba dancer to find their own balance 'literally' as well as flavour, skills & technique.
Kizomba vs Urban Kiz
We cover fundamentals of Kizomba mainly in the beginner & improver levels to make a great foundation to learn Kizomba, Once we reach Intermediate level we teach a mixture of styles while reinforcing fundamentals.
You will Learn;
- 30 Footwork patterns
- Basic Timing & Counts for Kizomba
- Kizomba Dance Partnering Technique & connection
- Essential Kizomba Basics & Beginner fundamentals**
- Traditional Kizomba Style (Generic)
- Urban Kizomba
- Extra tricks
- Styling & Body Movement
- Advanced: Catering for Advanced level dancers as well.
- More advanced partnering techniques & dance technique
- How to dance the dance!
- Advanced Timing & understanding music & musicality better
Salsa Latina Class Prices:
• FREE 1st class; only applies the 1st week of Beginners Course Only.
• No Contracts or joining fees
• No Obligation
• Pay as you go system
• We accept Cash or Paypal & major bank cards (not EFTPOS)
• Casual Rate ...........................................$15 per class
• Blue x5 class Concession card ........... $65 ($13 per class)
• Red x7 class Concession card .............$85 ($12.14 per class)
• Gold x9 class Concession card ...........$105 ($11.66 per class)