Bachata Dance Classes Christchurch
Learn to Dance Bachata in Christchurch City from New Zealand Champions
Bachata dancing is a modern, social street style Latin dance style and is completely a freestyle, meaning its not choreographed. Bachata is a style of dance that originated in the Caribbean, The Dominican Republic", this is an extremely popular dance that is danced in many Latin dance events, socials & parties as well, it's a very easy fun dance to learn. It is danced widely all over the world but not identically, there are many styles such as the more recent styles including Domincan & traditional styles and more recently, Sensual Bachata that is taking Europe by storm. The basics to the dance are three-step with a Cuban hip motion, followed by a tap including a hip movement on the 4th beat. Salsa Latina have also been teaching this style the longest running consistent classes in Christchurch & the South Island, starting back in 2009.
★ Bachata Beginners 101: Wednesdays 6:15pm - Starting: 09 November 2022 - ENROL NOW >
★ Bachata Intermediate 304: Wednesdays 7:30pm - Starting: 09 November
N.B. You won't be able to join in the middle off a 'Bachata course' unless you've above beginners, this is why we have a Free 1st Salsa class only on the start date, last chance to join a new beginner course is on week#2. For levels above beginners 101 you will need to pass and assessment or grade and gain a certificate to join higher levels, read more about levels below.
FREE Bachata Practice Times
This is a chance to practice all those moves you've been learning in class. You can turn up to either of the practice times, and its FREE for current Salsa Latina Bachata students.
★ Wednesday 5:55pm (20mins)
★ Wednesday 7:15pm (15mins)
★ Wednesday 9:35pm (30mins) Performance Team
Bachata 101 Beginners Courses
- Free 1st Class on Week#1 Only
- No Partner required (partner rotation)
- Everyone welcome
- Duration: 1 hour, once a week every week for 8 weeks
When to Join?
It's best to join when the course starts (week#1) but can join any time up to week#2 at the latest. Even if you have done Bachata somewhere else you will need to do our Bachata syllabus to progress to the next level.
tip: Check the timetable for week numbers.
• Level: Beginners 101 (4 weeks of 101 & 4 weeks of 201 levels)
• Duration: 1 hour, once a week every week for 8 weeks
• No Partner Required & Everyone welcome
Bachata Beginner Beginner 101 courses are ideal for absolute beginners & anyone who has had some partner dancing experience or if you have done Bachata before, this is a chance to recap and learn more. Learn all the basics of most of the styles of Bachata traditional style. Everyone welcome, yes even if you think you have 2 left feet, we have a cure for this. Once you have completed the beginners 101 you can progress to the New Intermediate level.
Regardless of your dance level in other styles its always best to start at the beginning, we've redesigned this course for the absolute beginner in mind, but also those with higher dance training. Latin dancing is a great way to Have Fun, keep fit and meet lots of new people! In this class the basics of Latin dancing is covered with Bachata. If you have done some Bachata before, we highly recommend you do this level regardless, teaching styles & information vary between dance schools. This is the most important of all the levels to master, worth repeating. More about the syllabus below..
Done Bachata Before?
If you have done some Bachata before, we highly recommend you do this level regardless, teaching styles & information vary between dance schools. This is the most important of all the levels to master, worth repeating at least a few times. If you are a confident dancer and know all the basics you'll need to get a grading to join higher levels regardless of your actual level. Please contact us if you wish to arrange a private grading here >
- Update May 2022
New Bachata moves & shines removed and replaced to this level
- Update July 2022
New Body Movement Warmup Included at Start of Class
Progressing & Grading for 101
Progressing to the next level in Bachata you will need to pass a grading on the last week of the 101 course to join a higher level. You won’t be able to join higher levels than 101 without grading from 2021.On week#8 of the 101 level there will be a grading/revision class, this is a fairly easy & fun class, focusing on revision of moves done at this level. If you miss a grading you can always book a 15min Private grading. Grading is a chance for Salsa Latina Teachers to give you direct feedback on your dancing.
Beginners Course Deal
A Special Course Deal will be available close to the start date and up until 24hrs after the start date. So snap these up because they are at a great price and are only available in beginner courses! Concession cards are the next best option, these are like bus tickets and can be used for any Salsa, Bachata or Kizomba class at any level. This give better flexibility while saving a reasonable amount. See Pricing here >
Bachata Intermediate 301-316 Courses
- Beginner Grading Required to Join
- No Partner required (partner rotation)
- Duration: 1 hour, once a week with endless content
- Start Dates above
Joining & Grading:
Start Dates: See the top of this page.
You can only join this level when you have passed the Bachata beginner level 101 Grading.... see here for info on grading.
Remember you can always repeat beginners & improver sections as well as this class to improve your base level.
Enrolment is not required for this level.
• Courses are 8 Weeks
• Duration: 1 hour, once a week for 8 weeks
• Courses 301-316, join any course, any order after beginners
• No Repeated courses, So you can continually learn once at this level.
In this Intermediate Bachata dance level we place more emphasis on timing, leading skills, styling, variations of the fundamentals, positioning, body isolation with complex moves & combinations. This is where you get to learn how to play with the structure & fundamentals taught in beginners. For the more Advanced levels, tips will be given to take it to a higher level i.e. Advanced levels. More about the syllabus below...
- Update April 2022
New Shine Section 316 Added
- Update July 2022
New Body Movement Warmup Included at Start of Class
Bachata Shines 301-316
The Bachata Shine series (footwork) has over 128 shines to learn over 128 weeks to date, a new shine every week for over 2.5 years. note partner-work is different every week, no repeats.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bachata is a popular music style and Latin dance from the Dominican Republic. Although developed mostly in last forty years, it has just gained international popularity lately. Nowadays, Bachata is well known not simply in the Caribbean. It becomes more and more popular dance and music style in many countries. So, in order to answer “What is Bachata dance” question, and to understand more Bachata history, the dance and its music phenomenon, it is necessary to introduce historical backgrounds and social groups of origins that Bachata arose from.... read more >
Bachata Dance Teachers
Find out more about our teachers, see their profiles
Bachata Dance Class Syllabus & Style:
Our System is based on the modern Bachata Fundamentals, known as the 'Salsa Latina Foundation System', which is unique in New Zealand. It's based on and very carefully constructed & refined from some of the best Bachata dancers in the world. We specialise in Modern Improvised Freestyle Street Styled Bachata in Sensual, Dominican & Traditional styles. good leading & following is the key. Many Latin dance schools do not know the difference on what is leadable & what isn't, if it can't be lead or followed, we don't teach it.
Bachata Styles you will learn:
You will learn a touch of all of these throughout the levels and even though there are many flavours it's all "Bachata" and all are evolving because Bachata is a Street Style dance, all these styles have value and learning a touch of them all is essential. We also teach many more styles than listed below, but these are the well known ones which include:
• Dominican styles of Bachata including dominican shines, this is the most original form of Bachata & influences from Bolero & other Caribbean dance styles including Merengue.
• Traditional Style Bachata is the most simple, great to start with. With easy turns, footwork & patterns. This is the style that popularised Bachata from the West & in Europe.
• Modern Bachata (aka Moderna) & Bachata Tango (aka Bachatango) are style that came out around 2005. Both these styles have more fusion from Salsa & Tango influence with new fundamentals & comes from Spain & Europe.
• Sensual Bachata, speak for itself and includes body movement and connection & leads. More of this style taught in the Intermediate Level & comes from Spain. This is the newest and most modern form of Bachata with fusion from contemporary and other Latin & Caribbean dance styles, there are to many to list.
The 'Salsa Latina' Bachata Foundation
At the start of our Bachata classes we start with a Bachata Footwork aka 'Shines' which also acts as a warmup to learn the essentials in mastering the feet, then we partner ladies & guys up aka 'Partnerwork'.
#1 Bachata Partnerwork:
Learn from the ground up, a foundation that will build on itself, Think of it like a House foundation. Master these core moves known as Fundamentals and you will progress very quickly. You'll discover that all Bachata 'combinations & turn patterns' are simply 'variations' of 'fundmentals'. We don't teach a random move of the week, rather it is taught to you in a way that is specifically designed to be progressive which build on previously taught elements giving the best results.
#2 Bachata Footwork / Shines:
You will also Learn Shines (footwork solo dancing) Bachata Shines are essential for any balanced Bachata dancer to find their own balance 'literally' as well as flavour, skills & technique. There's hundreds to learn, there's no other Bachata school in NZ that has the same extensive system. New System added in Sept 2019.
You will Learn;
- Bachata Basic Timing & Counts for Bachata
- Bachata Partnerwork turn patterns moves & variations
- Latin Dance Partnering Technique
- 55 Bachata Shines (Bachata Footwork)
- Unlimited Bachata Turn patterns, moves & combos
- Extra tricks
- Styling & Body Movement
- Advanced: Catering for Advanced level dancers as well.
- More advanced partnering techniques & dance technique
- How to dance the dance!
- Advanced Timing & understanding music & musicality better.
Salsa Latina Class Prices:
• FREE 1st class; only applies the 1st week of Beginners Course Only.
• No Contracts or joining fees & No Obligation
• We accept Cash or online payments inc major credit cards, applepay, googlepay, paypal etc including paywave & PIN Insert Chip Credit Cards
• Additional Transaction Fees apply to Creditcard & paywave.. details >
Free Bachata Content
- Easier & Quicker Shopping
- FREE to setup
- FREE x3 Beginner Salsa Bachata & Kizomba Videos
- FREE Salsa Bachata & Kizomba Music
- Extra Content
- Secure & Confidential
- Create an Online Profile