Bachata Dance Classes Christchurch
Learn to Dance Bachata in Christchurch City from New Zealand Champions
Bachata dancing is a modern, social street style Latin dance style and is completely a freestyle, meaning its not choreographed. Bachata is a style of dance that originated in the Dominican Republic & is an extremely popular dance that is danced in many Latin dance events, socials & parties as well, its+ a very easy fun dance to learn. It is danced widely all over the world but not identically, there are many styles such as the more recent styles including Domincan & traditional styles and more recently, Sensual Bachata that is taking Europe by storm. The basics to the dance are three-step with a Cuban hip motion, followed by a tap including a hip movement on the 4th beat.
Bachata Current Class Times:
★ Wednesdays 6:15pm - Bachata Beginners 101
★ Wednesdays 7:30pm - Bachata Shines
★ Wednesdays 8:30pm - Bachata Intermediate
N.B. Current class times above, for New Bachata course start dates & Bachata Level information see below.
Bachata Beginners 101 Courses
Beginner Course Start Dates:
★ Wednesdays 7:30pm .............. 22nd July (101 Course)
★ Wednesdays 7:30pm .............. 16th September (101 Course)
- Partner-work & Footwork / Shines
- No Partner required (partner rotation)
When to Join?
It's best to join when the course starts (week#1) but can join any time up to week#2 at the latest. Even if you have done Bachata somewhere else you will need to do our Bachata syllabus to progress to the next level.
tip: Check the timetable for week numbers.
• Level: Beginners 101 (4 weeks of 101 & 4 weeks of 201 levels)
• Duration: 1 hour, once a week every week for 8 weeks
• Free 1st Class: Only on Week#1 of the course is Free.
• No Partner Required & Everyone welcome
Bachata Beginner Beginner 101 courses are ideal for absolute beginners & anyone who has had some partner dancing experience or if you have done Bachata before, this is a chance to recap and learn more. Learn all the basics of most of the styles of Bachata traditional style. Everyone welcome, yes even if you think you have 2 left feet, we have a cure for this. Once you have completed the beginners 101 you can progress to the New Intermediate level.
Regardless of your dance level in other styles its always best to start at the beginning, we've redesigned this course for the absolute beginner in mind. Latin dancing is a great way to Have Fun, keep fit and meet lots of new people! In this class the basics of Latin dancing is covered with Bachata. If you have done some Bachata before, we highly recommend you do this level regardless, teaching styles & information vary between dance schools. This is the most important of all the levels to master, worth repeating. More about the syllabus below..
Progress to the Next Level
After completion of beginners Bachata you will then progress to the Bachata Intermediate, no need to enrol for Intermediate.
Bachata Intermediate 301-318 Courses
Intermediate Course Start Dates:
★ Wednesdays 8:30pm .............. 10th June (307 & 308 Course)
★ Wednesdays 8:30pm .............. 22nd July (309 & 310 Course)
★ Wednesdays 8:30pm .............. 16th September (309 & 310 Course)
- Partner-work & Footwork / Shines
- No Partner required (partner rotation)
When to Join?
Join this level 'only' when you have completed the Salsa Latina Beginners Bachata 101 course ...or had private lessons! Remember you can always repeat beginners & improver sections as well as this class to improve your base level.
Enrolment is not required for this level.
• Courses are 8 Weeks, which includes 4 weeks of each section
• Duration: 1 hour, once a week for 8 weeks
• Courses 301-318, join any course, any order after beginners
• No Repeated courses, So you can continually learn once at this level.
In this Intermediate Bachata dance level we place more emphasis on timing, leading skills, styling, variations of the fundamentals, positioning, body isolation with complex moves & combinations. This is where you get to learn how to play with the structure & fundamentals taught in beginners. For the more Advanced levels, tips will be given to take it to a higher level i.e. Advanced levels. More about the syllabus below...
Bachata Shines 301-318
The Bachata Shine series (footwork) has over 72 shines to learn over 72 weeks, a new shine every week. each section is a 4 week block. note partner-work is different every week, no repeats.
Bachata Shine Classes
- Join in NOW (anytime) Drop-in Class- Footwork & Shines Only
- These Bachata Shine classes will be moving to regular classes soon - See timetable for clarification
★ Wednesdays 7:30pm....... Bachata Intermediate Shines (last class 15th July)
- Free 1st Class applies to beginners level only
- No Partner required
A great way to take your dancing too new heights is to join one of our performance teams, these start at the beginning of the year in March, so keep taking regular classes till these start up. You'll need to be at least up to improvers level and above.... find out more here >
FREE Bachata Practice Times
This is a chance to practice all those moves you've been learning in class. You can turn up to either of the practice times, and its FREE for current Salsa Latina Bachata students.
★ Wednesday 7:15pm (15mins)
★ Wednesdays 9:30pm (40mins)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I bring a friend?
- Do I need to bring a partner?
- If I'm bringing a partner do I have to swap?
- I have done some classes, do I still join beginners?
- What Level am I? ..where should I start?
- Classes to Easy or to Hard?
- What should I wear?
- Do I need special footwear?.
- Do I need to bring anything?
- How long will it take me to learn to dance well?
- Do I need to Practice?
- Should I use Youtube to help learning?
- Do I need private lessons?
- Latin Dancing & International Latin, what's the difference?.
- Should I Learn Salsa first?
- Am I too young, old, small or big?
- What are the Benefits of Salsa & Latin Dancing?
Bachata is a popular music style and Latin dance from the Dominican Republic. Although developed mostly in last forty years, it has just gained international popularity lately. Nowadays, Bachata is well known not simply in the Caribbean. It becomes more and more popular dance and music style in many countries. So, in order to answer “What is Bachata dance” question, and to understand more Bachata history, the dance and its music phenomenon, it is necessary to introduce historical backgrounds and social groups of origins that Bachata arose from.... read more >
Bachata Dance Teachers
Find out more about our teachers, see their profiles
Bachata Dance Class Syllabus & Style:
Our System is based on the modern Bachata Fundamentals, known as the 'Salsa Latina Foundation System', which is unique in New Zealand. It's based on and very carefully constructed & refined from some of the best Bachata dancers in the world. We specialise in Modern Improvised Freestyle Street Styled Bachata in Sensual, Dominican & Traditional styles. good leading & following is the key. Many Latin dance schools do not know the difference on what is leadable & what isn't, if it can't be lead or followed, we don't teach it.
Bachata Styles you will learn:
You will learn a touch of all of these throughout the levels.
• Traditional Style Bachata is the most simple, great to start with. With easy turns, footwork & patterns.
• Dominican styles of Bachata including dominican shines.
• Bachata Moderna style has modern elements & some influences from tango & other styles of partner dancing.
• Sensual Bachata, speak for itself and includes body movement and connection & leads. More of this style taught in the Intermediate Level.
• Bachata Tango or Bachatango is a new style that has even more tango influence with new fundamentals & is popular in Italy & Spain.
The 'Salsa Latina' Bachata Foundation
At the start of our Bachata classes we start with a Bachata Footwork aka 'Shines' which also acts as a warmup to learn the essentials in mastering the feet, then we partner ladies & guys up aka 'Partnerwork'.
#1 Bachata Partnerwork:
Learn from the ground up, a foundation that will build on itself, Think of it like a House foundation. Master these core moves known as Fundamentals and you will progress very quickly. You'll discover that all Bachata 'combinations & turn patterns' are simply 'variations' of 'fundmentals'. We don't teach a random move of the week, rather it is taught to you in a way that is specifically designed to be progressive which build on previously taught elements giving the best results.
#2 Bachata Footwork / Shines:
You will also Learn Shines (footwork solo dancing) Bachata Shines are essential for any balanced Bachata dancer to find their own balance 'literally' as well as flavour, skills & technique. There's hundreds to learn, there's no other Bachata school in NZ that has the same extensive system. New System added in Sept 2019.
You will Learn;
- Bachata Basic Timing & Counts for Bachata
- Bachata Partnerwork turn patterns moves & variations
- Latin Dance Partnering Technique
- 55 Bachata Shines (Bachata Footwork)
- Unlimited Bachata Turn patterns, moves & combos
- Extra tricks
- Styling & Body Movement
- Advanced: Catering for Advanced level dancers as well.
- More advanced partnering techniques & dance technique
- How to dance the dance!
- Advanced Timing & understanding music & musicality better.
Salsa Latina Class Prices:
• FREE 1st class; only applies the 1st week of Beginners Course Only.
• No Contracts or joining fees
• No Obligation
• Pay as you go system
• We accept Cash or Paypal & major bank cards (not EFTPOS)
• Casual Rate ...........................................$15 per class
• Blue x5 class Concession card ........... $65 ($13 per class)
• Red x7 class Concession card .............$85 ($12.14 per class)
• Gold x9 class Concession card ...........$105 ($11.66 per class)